User-agent: * Disallow: / Hurricane I: Waitress Diaries: No Talking. Just Eating.

Saturday, May 21, 2005

Waitress Diaries: No Talking. Just Eating.

Today, I was allowed to venture on my own in the waiting establishment in which I work. It was good, I made good money. But I learned something important...

You know how you can be so focused on the talking that the eating gets delayed? Well, when you are deaf and you talk with your hands, that problem gets magnified. I wouldn't have really noticed, but it was my only table, and I was waiting on them to pay so I could go home. And an hour later, I was still waiting. Normally I would have dropped the check and waltzed off, but I felt bad. And it was clear they were the only people there, and I kept offering to take the plates, and they kept saying "no", so it's not like they weren't aware. And they eventually did pay, and they did tip me well. But most of all, I was very proud of myself that I refrained from using my favorite sign-language word: "WOW".

For the un-sign-language'd, I shall explain this word. The word is made by holding three fingers up to your face on either side of your open mouth, literally spelling out "W-O-W." I love this word, and usually, I take any excuse to use it. But I felt it would have been a little bit weird, and I try to refrain from weirding out my tables.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

flickr