User-agent: * Disallow: / Hurricane I: Meme for Me, Meme for You

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Meme for Me, Meme for You

So, Jay “meme”’d me a few days ago, and since I’ve been slacking off, I’ve only now just gotten around to it. But what is a “meme,” you ask? Well, here’s the obligatory explanation:
Behold, the Caesar’s Bath meme! List five things that people in your circle of friends or peer group are wild about, but you can’t really understand the fuss over. To use the words of Caesar (from History of the World Part I), “Nice. Nice. Not thrilling . . . but nice.”
And now here's my list. It was surprisingly easy...

1) Facebook/Friendster - Seriously, I don’t get it. Blogs, I get. IMs I get. I’m on both Facebook and Friendster, but I don’t find them appealing. Or any need to spend any time on them, and I think it’s weird when people I don’t know what me to be facebook friends with them.

2) Coffee - This is less my peer group and more the American world in general. If all we’re doing is smelling it, I’m in, but drinking it? Why would anyone want to drink that? The allure of Starbuck in particular is just beyond me. I don’t understand the intense desire for a regular cup of coffee, and I really don’t understand why you’re willing to pay $3 a cup for “special” coffee. I interpret espresso to be the digestive form of injecting caffeine into your veins, though I still haven’t figured out why that tastes good. Or, for that matter, what a latte is. And I’m okay with not knowing.

3) Organic Produce - Organic meat I understand, even organic milk, but I personally can’t taste the difference between an officially certified “organic” apple and a regular apple. Fresh fruit is always better, as is fruit that is ripened on the vine/bush/tree, but “organic” oranges don’t inspire me to pay $5 more for them.

4) The O.C. - Or, as Jason Alexander called it on Celebrity Poker, the “Ock”. I did not watch 90210. I did not watch Dawson’s Creek. Maybe these are all related things… Rich, pretty people with problems by large bodies of water. Boring. Let’s check and see if West Wing reruns are on Bravo.

5) Baseball - Yes, apparently, I’m a Communist. College Football, I adore. March Madness makes me giddy. Baseball… eh. It’s such a slow game that takes forever, but then you go to the bathroom and the entire game has changed. I’m also not into statistics, and the players move around too much for me to care. DC is all excited because we now have a team, and all the lobbyists bought season tickets to woo clients and Congresspeople, and we’re all a-twitter. Please. I want to go to Europe.


And now for the sending it on part. Hmm… I’m going to give it to Charlie, though we’ll have to wait two weeks for the Re-Return of the Short Bus, and to Joel since he was on CNN. Make me proud.

And now back to my regularly scheduled slacking off.

UPDATE: Apparently, I'm supposed to inflict this on three more people, not just two. And apparently, Charlie and Joel are not cool enough to be three people. So I'm also tapping Dr. Meagan because she's nearing the time when she'll be paid to wave pointy objects near sensitive body parts.

Comments:
Damn you! I was hoping to avoid this meme altogether. And you're supposed to send it on to three people. I suggest TNDC as your third person.
 
Oh, I missed the Three Person Memo. TNDC isn't actually one person, it's more like a NGO.
 
See, if baseball were a social event or an event which required all car keys in a fish bowl rather than a sporting event, I'd understand. I like the singing during the 7th inning stretch. They should do that between every inning. Or have a band I could join. Then I'd learn to like it, I'm sure.

On the other hand, now that I think about it, being buzzed in a stadium does sound like fun...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

flickr