User-agent: * Disallow: / Hurricane I: We're Not Alone

Saturday, December 25, 2004

We're Not Alone

An article after my heart. I feel like it's TNR's Christmas present to me - a story about liberals from Alabama. A sampling, since I think registering is required ( I'll try to find it for free later):
Such debacles [like voting to leave racist language in the State Constitution] highlight the plight of the white Southern liberal. On the one hand, you love your region in a way that other Americans can't understand. But you are also deeply shamed by its unwillingness to move forward on social issues. Such shame is a big reason why I don't move back and why thousands of other Southern liberals decamp annually for more enlightened locales. But my disaffection is different from the disdain for the South felt by, say, New York liberals. As the journalist W.J. Cash wrote in 1941, it is "the exasperated hate of a lover who cannot persuade the object of his affections to his desire."
I totally understand. God Bless The Southern Liberals, Everyone.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

flickr