User-agent: * Disallow: / Hurricane I: The Obligatory Voting Post

Tuesday, November 02, 2004

The Obligatory Voting Post

More to follow later as I quasi-live blog the returns. But for now, I point you to a Slate article, loosely titled Republicans vs. Black People, or, as I like to put it, "The Little GOP Lawyers That Could."

I voted this morning, wearing my College Dems "Kiss My Ass" T shirt. At my polling place, a garage in my neighborhood, I practiced voting with the new dot system in California (no more chads for us) and had a brownie. Then I voted, heart racing, paranoid that I would accidentally for Buchanan or against stem cell research. But I prevailed, and now I have a sticker.

Then I went to the store and bought Rolaids, just in case I need them.

I honestly believe Kerry will win. Too many people in this world think Bush screwed up and it's time for a change. Regardless of the three possible outcomes (per the Daily Show the possible outcomes are: Kerry wins, Kerry loses, Civil War.) I think there will be tears tonight.

Full Disclosure: I've cried already today. The woman standing in line to vote in Ohio even though she's in labor (Hat Tip: Andrew Sullivan), the lines of people waiting patiently, calls to NPR asking the LA County Registrar last minute questions... Mostly, I tear up just because people care. See, I have always loved voting, as I am unquestionably opiniated and voting is the purest expression of an opinion, and I am thrilled that so many people agree this year. Sure, P. Diddy by himself (Vote or Die, motherfucker, VOTE OR DIE!) may not convince people to vote, but I do think that P. Diddy and Drew Barrymore, and the Rev. Jesse Jackson, and all the ads, and all the political coverage, etc, did produce this larger turnout. That, and 2000.

Time to check the blogs again, though many of them have been down today.

Voting is awesome. Yay Democracy!


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

flickr