User-agent: * Disallow: / Hurricane I: I Think I Need To Pick A Different State to Be From

Thursday, October 14, 2004

I Think I Need To Pick A Different State to Be From

I was born in Florida, and I lived there for 10 years. My family is all from Alabama, and most of my extended family still lives there. My immediate family currently lives in California, and that is where I vote. But when I tell people where I'm "from," I usually say "Alabama" for sociological reasons. But I might change my mind.

See, the Alabama Constitution is stupid. Only in 2000 did we decide to amend it to recognize interracial marriage (and it only passed by 60%.) Roy Moore (not related to Michael, that I know of), that Judge who chained himself to a large stone replica of the 10 Commandments, is from Alabama. And he is now telling the people of Alabama to vote AGAINST a proposal to strike language from the Alabama Constitution that would get rid of the last vestiges of the Jim Crow laws because it's a trick to allow the government to raise taxes. That's not why I'm debating abandoning my state affiliation. It's that I'm afraid it will fail. Everyone knows that taxes are bad, and you should vote against them. Money quote:

Gabriel J. Chin, a University of Arizona law professor who helped write a recent study on Jim Crow laws, said many Southern states besides Alabama still have unenforceable segregation-era laws on the books, and referendums on erasing them are not always a sure thing.

"Some people still support segregation. They won't say it in public, but they will say it in the voting place," he said.


ALABAMA. GET WITH THE PROGRAM. THE GOVERNMENT IS NOT TRYING TO STEAL YOUR RELIGION. BLACK PEOPLE ARE NOT THE DEVIL. THIS IS WHY THE REST OF THE COUNTRY THINKS YOU ARE ALL IDIOTS! STOP IT!!

(Hat Tip: Jay Williams)

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

flickr