User-agent: * Disallow: / Hurricane I: Endorsements for Bush?

Monday, October 25, 2004

Endorsements for Bush?

With little more than a week left until the election, I have read easily a dozen endorsements of John Kerry. It might be that the things that I read are mostly liberal, libertarian or progressive (i.e. wildly opposed to Bush, even if not the Republican party as a whole), but I have yet to see an endoresement of George W. Bush.

I would actually like to read one, provided that it is written by an academic or journalist, uses factually verifiable information, and does not imply (explicitly or otherwise) that God Votes Republican. I know that I have friends who will be voting for Bush, though fewer than I once thought (Michael Gleason, I'm still flabergasted.) and I know there has to be a reasonable explaination for that vote. I just haven't seen it, and I doubt I'll be able to come up with it myself.

The arguements I hear on the stump and from the official White House reports don't make sense to me, though I realize that must resonate with some people or we wouldn't be at a statistical tie. "Vote for Bush or terrorists will blow us up" doesn't work for me, and I'm pro-choice, pro-equality in marriage (aka civil rights), and pro-stem cell research, so the social issues thing won't cut it for me either. The rest of the world is clearly anti-Bush, and while I do not think that we should allow the world to dictate who our leaders are (leaving aside the fact that we invaded a soverign country for this reason), it's good to have allies. (Don't forget Poland!) Fiscal conservatives should by definition be against Bush, and now I'm out of ideas.

What am I not thinking of? Why are rational people going to vote for Bush?


Comments:
Wait, Michael is voting for Kerry?

Is the world coming to an end?

~Whitley~
 
For the record, Michael is not voting for Kerry either. I am not pleased with the choices from either party, and am therefore abstaining from voting in the Presidential election. Now, I know that people will call me stupid and lazy for not voting, claiming that Kerry is the lesser of two evils and therefore I should vote for him, but I still find him not a great candidate. I don't think I should be voting for someone whom I think will not do a very good job. India suggested that I write in my father, but I don't think I will do that either. No, I am not going to vote for Nader. Although he does wear a cape, and that's kinda cool....

I do know that there are alot of doctors and medical students who are voting for Bush. They aren't necessarily voting for Bush because of the fact that he's Bush, but more for the reason that neither he nor Dick are trail lawyers. There are alot of people in the medical community afraid of having a trial lawyer in the White House because malpractice insurance costs are killing doctors, especially the young ones who aren't making tons of money (yet) and must still pay off their loans, the ridiculous insurance AND still try to live.

Michael
 
That is almost a rational argument, though still one that ignores some larger issues. And, I believe, there is a multi-part proposal on the Kerry/Edwards website that would put sort of a three strikes rule on lawyers who attempt to extort money from the medical community. I.e., if the judge finds that there is not a good reason for the suit, the case gets thrown out, and if it happens thrice, the lawyer loses his license.

I think this was briefly touched on in both the second debate and the VP debate with Edwards himself. Though I could be wrong about the VP debate, I didn't see as much of that one.
 
Yo India.

I'm now a registered voter in Ohio... it's quite different being in a swing state for once where my vote could potentially count. My coworkers don't talk about politics during breaks cause it pisses each other off, although I had a nice Bush-bashing conversation with one of my managers about the economy. Anyways, just wanted to say hi and hope all is well. HI!! HOPE ALL IS WELL!!

Andy (yes, Thatcher) Thatcher
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

flickr