User-agent: * Disallow: / Hurricane I: A Bit of Halloween Fright

Sunday, October 31, 2004

A Bit of Halloween Fright

For the first time, I think ever, the Bush people are at the place where they are dealing with the possibility of losing this election. And two days before the main event, that's a really bad thing for them. I've read several articles about how Bush & Co. might be starting to crack (not least of which is why on Earth did Karl Rove feel the need to sit under the wheels?) and this is another. And being a proud Kerry supporter, I relished it, except for this part at the end:

Young's church, Grove City Nazarene, will hold a prayer vigil Monday night to ask that the "Lord to put the right man in the White House."

"Lord," they will say, "Guide people when they go into that voting booth. Guide their hand to vote by the Bible."

But Young is not blinkered; she reads the newspapers, knows how hair-thin a margin Bush has in Ohio. Only this week she began to consider the impossible, that Bush could be right and still lose -- and put that together with her conviction that God knows what He's doing.

"If that happens, the Lord must want Kerry to be in there," she says. "If that happens, it must be the Lord is telling us we're living in the Last Days, and we'd better prepare."


How did this happen? How is Bush the Messiah? It really bothers me that I don't understand, but I really, really don't. The words themselves don't surprise me, I watch too much SNL for that and it is parodied too often, but I do not understand the belief behind the words.

Religion is a strange, strange thing.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

flickr